Monday, July 14, 2014

In the Words of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin...



I learned of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin last year, when I was introduced to the term "noosphere," a concept used to denote the energetic sphere of human thought. 

If this name is not familiar to you, perhaps the quote shown in the above image is familiar:

“We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.”

I've loved that quote for years, but it was only this morning that I discovered it was one of the many pearls of wisdom attributed to de Chardin.

De Chardin was a French philosopher and Jesuit priest who trained as a paleontologist and geologist, and took part in the discovery of Peking Man. He conceived the idea of the Omega Point (a maximum level of complexity and consciousness towards which he believed the universe was evolving) and developed upon Vladimir Vernadsky's concept of noosphere.

I've curated some of my favorite quotes and paired them with graphics to form this homage to Pierre de Chardin. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed compiling this post.





















PRACTICAL COMPASSION | Sharing thoughts, ideas, and visions of a more compassionate, collaborative, joy-filled world.

No comments:

Post a Comment